I signed up and created a user on Most Traveled People. This looks like a fun and friendly site to track all the places in the world you have been to if you are into checking off countries, or getting stamps to prove you have been somewhere. I have been to all of the United States, except Alaska, but have no hard-core evidence other than the memories in my head for most of them. I like this site more for the ability to see what else is out there that I didn't even think of finding. Virtual Tourist is good for this, but it can be filled with a lot of unnecessary information and jabbering as well. I am also a map person, and this lets me color in a map as I travel without having to carry one and destroy it by doodling on it while waiting.

I want to buy an inflatable globe to carry around in my backpack. One, for the ability to color on a map ;-) as well as to show people in foreign places where I am from, been, and want to goto. I was fortunate enough to find Alice Taylor and the Rupununi Learners when I was in Guyana. I volunteered in Yupukari for a week to help them with the laptops the village uses to gain knowledge from the rest of the world, from within what can be considered the outskirts of the Amazon River Basin. I ran Google Earth, and we zoomed into their country, and village, as Google had been nice enough to have high-res images availble. They were amazed to see their village from above, and confused when I showed them Boston, Massachusetts. The first question I got was, "Where are all your trees?" I showed them The Boston Commons, and then the Berkshire Forests of Western, MA. The understanding of the differences in the understanding of the world came to me then, as I saw this place as much bigger, and I wanted OUT of the urban jungles that we, as humans, have developed. I am not a 'tree hugger', but I did hug my big, nasty, sticky, 200 year old pine tree in my backyard when I got home.

0 comments