I sold Betsy, the Big Blue Skoolie Bus this weekend. It was a sad day for the Vagabond; but I got what I was asking for it, so it all seemed to work itself out. Plus it allowed me to take a trip to Baltimore with a friend to watch a few bands play at the Traffic Jam Festival. It was a little awkward having missed all the larger music festivals this summer that I had intended to see in the bus, and within minutes of selling it, I was on my way to a local festival.

What to do now that I have no bus?
Having no bus does not mean that the adventure is over by any means, just that it has to be changed up a bit. I am currently in the process of scouring Craigslist for a small enclosed trailer (6x10-6x12) that I can throw a mattress, couch, table, and Misha's bed into. I will then just look like a person in a Jeep moving to their next location. That IS what I am doing, just a little more inconspicuous now that I don't have 33' of bus advertising myself. The other option is to buy a 4x8 trailer frame, build a shell for it (a tear drop trailer) and live out of that. Either way, the website Talesofavagabond.com will be re-worked to show off my new style of minimalistic living, still taking full advantage of solar power and minimalistic living. The plan is to get myself to Slab City, CA somewhere around Halloween, spend the rest of the winter in the desert with the rest of the snowbird travelers, and see where life takes me.

4 comments

  1. LiveWorkDream // September 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

    Right on, congratulations on getting what you were asking! That's rad.

    There are so many perks to driving a smaller rig, you won't regret it.

    Meanwhile, hope to see you at the Slabs. We'll be there after Christmas, from January till the snow melts in CO. Just don't be in too much of a rush to get there, the place is still pretty much a ghost town, and kinda creepy, until around Thanksgiving. At least that's what a friend told me.

    Look us up when you get there, we'll be along the North East corner, Coachella Canal Road, on the way to the Library. Go toward the bombing range and look for the Canuks, and our big sat dish.

  2. AndyEWilliams // September 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM  

    The bus was undoubtedly a HUGE fuel hog ... but I was hoping that you'd find others that wanted to travel to the the music festivals with you so that you'd be able to split gas. It would have been such a story. But I'm sure the story that will develop with your travels in the new ride will be great too.

  3. Nova // October 2, 2009 at 7:52 AM  

    sorry to hear that.. having no bus is really hassle... nice blog

  4. mam // July 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM  

    I can only imagine how bitter sweet selling your skoolie was. My roomate and I just bought a skoolie and should be making the final move into it by the first of September. We're trying to be completely self contained and were wondering what kind of plumbing set up you had going on in your skoolie. Any tips?